Pink Fire Pointer Feeling Very French

Feeling Very French


When I was in New York recently I discovered a wonderful shop on Madison Avenue near 89th called Keesal & Matthews.  It was filled with fabulous home decor items, including dishes, glassware, and linens.  I bought this small pillow and hung it on the door to my study.  Every time I see it I smile.


In a couple weeks I am hosting my book club meeting and we are reading "The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain.  It is about Ernest Hemingway's first wife.  We are also reading "A Moveable Feast" by Hemingway.  I am very excited as I am still basking in the afterglow of  Woody Allen's new film "Midnight in Paris."  I am going to Paris in the fall for my birthday.  So I am in a very French mood!


I bought these beautiful editions of some novels by Colette a while ago, and I'm reminded that I wanted to reread these classics.  She is one of my favorite authors.


This biography of Colette came out a few years ago and I remember loving it.  Colette was a flamboyant personality and a writer of many classics of twentieth-century literature.  She wrote the novel "Gigi" which was turned into an amazing film.  My favorite books by her are "Cheri" and "The Break of Day."


A friend recently gave me this beautiful and useful book on Paris that contains great restaurant, hotel, sights, and shop recommendations.  I can't wait to dip into it as I plan the fall trip to Paris.


I went to this gorgeous art exhibition -- "Paris, Life & Luxury --  at the Getty Center in Los Angeles.  This beautiful book from the exhibition reminds me of what a knock-out this show is.  It consists of period rooms decorated in French colors and ornamentation that are filled with exquisite objects that would have been found in the homes of wealthy Parisians in the 18th- century.  If you have a chance, don't miss this exhibition.


Madeleine Cookies from Dorie Greenspan

I have been thinking about what I will make for lunch for my book club and have decided to do a French-themed menu. I will thumb through Julia Child, Dorie Greenspan, and "Barefoot in Paris" for ideas.  But the one recipe I will definitely include will be madeleine cookies.  I hope that my friends will love this.

Bon week-end!