Pink Fire Pointer A Poem for a Sister

A Poem for a Sister

Photo by Caren Levin

My daughter Heather Taylor is getting married in June.  Of course I have been filled with great happiness in anticipation of the big event.  The wedding season officially kicked into gear last week with a wedding shower for Heather that was given by my cousin who is also my dear, dear friend.  Heather's younger sister Megan Taylor was asked to write a poem in honor of Heather to read at the shower.  The poem was so wonderful that I wanted to share it with you.

*****

Heather
In your name is the Earth.
The place I go when I need
to be grounded.  The place
you put your hands when
I need to be reminded:
everything's going to be ok.

Heather is a flower, a lush
consistent hush, a mountain,
a hill, a seaside room: for us.

There in it, we will play forever
speak a secret sound forever,
rule the town forever.  It's big
enough for the two us, we've
known such things since the 
beginning of time, when holding
hands who knew which were yours
and which were mine.

And of this other word I found 
inside your name: "he."  Him, his.
Alex.  Of his name I see the world
a circle, a cycle, the round of your 
ground.  I see all.  In this world 
of unknowns and uncertainties
I see everything in you.

All the answers, perfect timing,
sisters by the seaside
when holding hands, 
there is no question,
whether yours or mine,
we are together, intertwined
in this world that is forever ours.

--written by Megan Taylor
on the occasion of Heather's wedding shower